top of page

Church History

HOLSEY SINAI C.M.E. CHURCH


The Rome Circuit — Late 1800s
In the late nineteenth century, the Rome Circuit of the Christian Methodist Episcopal Church — then known as the Colored Methodist Episcopal Church — was established in the Rome, Georgia area. The circuit was composed of four congregations: Mount Zion, Mount Sinai, Rush Chapel, and Holsey Temple. Under this arrangement, one devoted minister bore responsibility for the pastoral care and worship services of all four churches. Each congregation convened for worship one Sunday per month, with services rotating in faithful order: first Sunday at Mount Zion, second Sunday at Mount Sinai, third Sunday at Rush Chapel, and fourth Sunday at Holsey Temple. During one season of ministry, Holsey Temple was also blessed with evening services each Sunday night, a testament to the hunger for worship within that community.


A Union of Sister Congregations — 1928
Around 1928, two sister congregations — Rush Chapel and Mount Sinai — joined together to form a unified church family. The newly combined congregation was established on Bell's Ferry Road, returning to the historic home of Mount Sinai. Guiding the flock through this pivotal restructuring was the Reverend F. P. Griggs, whose shepherding leadership helped lay the foundation for the decades that would follow.


Relocation to Bert Road — 1933
On the second Sunday in May 1933, the Mount Sinai Church family made the difficult but necessary decision to relocate due to repeated acts of vandalism against their property. With remarkable determination, the church building was dismantled and moved to a new site on Bert Road, under the pastoral leadership of the Reverend J. L. Pickens. By the second Sunday in June 1933, Mount Sinai had gathered once again for worship at its new home on Bert Road.


The second Sunday in August held special meaning for the Mount Sinai family, as it marked their beloved Homecoming celebration. Members who had moved away returned to join in praise, and neighboring churches came to share in the fellowship. After the worship service, families gathered on the church grounds for an afternoon meal — a tradition of community and belonging that many still hold dear. Following Homecoming, the summer revival would begin on Monday evening, ushering in what was described as a highly spiritual week of renewal and dedication.


Holsey Temple at Five Points
Across the District, Holsey Temple stood as a visible witness for the Lord in the historic "Five Points" area of Rome. The congregation's faithfulness, however, did not go without problems — the church was vandalized on more than one occasion. Upon receiving his new appointment, the Reverend Johnny W. Thornton arrived to find windows broken and the sanctuary used for shelter by those in need. With the help of his son, Solomon, Reverend Thornton cleaned the building, replaced the broken windows, and painted the church so that worship services could continue without delay. In the years that followed, maintaining the cleanliness of the church became one of Solomon Thornton's primary and cherished responsibilities.


Under the lay leadership of Mr. Capus W. White, the outreach ministries of Holsey Temple were greatly expanded and enriched. In time, several members of Mount Sinai who had relocated outside Floyd County transferred their membership to Holsey Temple, drawing the two congregations even closer together.
A Congregation Charts Its Own Course


As the years passed, Mount Zion grew increasingly focused on ministering within the Armuchee community and made clear its intention to remain there. The fellowship bond between Mount Zion and its sister churches began to strain further when Holsey Temple began holding services twice a month — one of those Sundays coinciding with Mount Zion's own service day. On such Sundays, the minister would conduct an earlier service at Holsey Temple before traveling to Mount Zion for a midday service.
It was recounted that on one particular Sunday, the members of Mount Zion saw their minister approaching and — having concluded their devotional time — dismissed the congregation before he arrived. When discussions of a merger between Holsey Temple and Mount Sinai began to take shape, Mount Zion made its position unmistakably clear: they would have no part in the union. True to their word, when the merger became a reality, the Mount Zion Church family stood firm behind their decision.
Urban Renewal and the Road to Merger — 1966


In time, city and county officials in Rome began pursuing plans for urban redevelopment, and the "Five Points" neighborhood was identified as a target for economic progress. As a result, African American businesses and institutions throughout the area — including Holsey Temple — were required to relocate. The church property was purchased by the Urban Renewal Authority for $50,000, and the congregation was given several years to identify and secure a new site.


It was in this season of transition that the possibility of a merger between Holsey Temple and Mount Sinai came to the fore. Under the pastoral leadership of the Reverend Mance C. Jackson, and the dedicated lay leadership of Mr. Capus W. White from Holsey Temple and Mr. Robert H. Kinnebrew from Mount Sinai, the groundwork was painstakingly laid. The road was not without its obstacles — members of both congregations wrestled with uncertainty about what merger would mean for their church families. But after much prayer, honest discussion, and the prayerful guidance of Bishop P. R. Shy, the two congregations reached agreement in 1966. The dream of a united church family was becoming a reality.


It was Brother Solomon Thornton, serving as Chairman of the Trustee Board, who located the site where the church now stands. The building committee — composed of Brothers Capus W. White, Solomon Thornton, Hope "Pete" Tigner, Willie Kinnebrew, Roy Wade, and Earnest Kinnebrew — worked together to bring the vision to life. It was Brother White who proposed that the new unified church honor both of its congregations by incorporating each church's name. The committee and membership agreed, and Holsey Sinai was chosen as the name of their new church home.


BUILDING THE HOUSE

Construction on the Holsey Sinai CME Church sanctuary began in 1970. The first worship service was held in the new building in May 1971 — a milestone moment for a congregation whose journey had been long and faithfully walked. The sanctuary, a colonial brick structure graced by four Doric columns at its entrance, was constructed at 1301 East First Street. The address has since been redesignated 1233 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., in honor of the great civil rights leader.
The building is more than a sanctuary for worship. It is also home to an adjoining fellowship hall, classrooms, a library, a kitchen, administrative offices, a storage room, a food pantry, and sanitary facilities — everything needed to serve both the congregation and the surrounding community.


PASTORS WHO HAVE SERVED

Early Circuit Ministers
In the early years of the Rome Circuit, the following reverends faithfully served the congregation: Rev. B. B. Martin, Rev. J. W. Thornton, Rev. J. E. Buggs, Rev. J. N. Bailey, Rev. T. C. Cunningham, Rev. A.G. Stewart, and Rev. F. P. Griggs.
Pastors of Holsey Sinai — Since the 1966 Merger
Rev. Mance C. Jackson
Rev. Harvey
Rev. C. C. Brawner — (built the new sanctuary at East First Street)
Rev. T. A. Jones — 1972–1974
Rev. R. B. Shorts — 1974–1975
Rev. O. Dewayne Walker — 1975–1980
Rev. Carlton Mahone — 1980–1986
Rev. Bernard Kynes — 1986–1991
Rev. Roy Williams — 1991–1994
Rev. Charles Richard — 1995
Rev. Christopher Johnson — 1995–1996
Rev. Curtis L. Russell — 1996–2007
Rev. Bobby J. Hall Sr. — 2007–2014
Rev. Dr. Paul Gardner Sr. — 2014–2018
Rev. Dr. Derrick D. McDaniel — 2018–Present


Ministers Who Have Previously Served Holsey Sinai
Rev. Paul Steward (retired Bishop); Rev. Dr. Mance Jackson (deceased); Rev. Ruth Thornton; Min. Lanarius Dupree; Rev. Derrick Miller; Rev. Dr. Susie K. Twyman; Min. Eric Collins; Rev. Derrick McDaniel; Rev. Jill Jackson; Rev. James White; Rev. Sylvester Askew; and Rev. Vivian Collins (currently serving).


A LIVING, ACTIVE CHURCH FAMILY

The membership of Holsey Sinai has more than tripled since the 1966 merger, maintaining an active congregation of approximately one hundred members. The life of this church is reflected in the breadth and vitality of its ministries and organizations:


Steward Board  •  Stewardess Board  •  Trustee Board  •  Usher Board  •  Sunday School  •  Lay Council  •  Board of Christian Education  •  Youth Christian Fellowship Organization  •  Missionary Society  •  Kitchen Ministry  •  Board of Evangelism  •  Board of Social Concerns  •  Bible Study Group  •  Praise Team  •  Youth Choir  •  Combined Choir  •  Male Choir
As we celebrate sixty years of united worship and service, we honor the memory of those who prayed, labored, and sacrificed so that Holsey Sinai might stand. May this congregation carry their legacy forward with the same untiring faith, humble spirit, and fervent prayer that brought this church into existence.

To God Be the Glory
 

A Changed People, Changing the World
Holsey Sinai CME Church
Holsey Sinai CME Church

706-295-7265

 

1233 Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.

Rome, Ga 30161

  • White Facebook Icon

Success! Message received.

©2023 by Holsey Sinai CME Church. Proudly created with wix.com

bottom of page